<<"Updated Mozilla Tips!" [Main Index] "Peru and Belize!">>
PC Fix Up Tips31 July 2004
Lots of my friends these days are having problems with their PCs being over run with spyware and viruses. Here are a few steps you can take to help get your computer back under your control and improve performance too! Of course, if you're running Linux you don't have these problems ;)
Part A - R E C O V E R Y
1. Uninstall all suspect programs (ie ones you dont recognise) from Start-->Control Panel, Add / Remove programs
2. Run Adaware with the latest definitions:
3. Run a online virus scan
Part B - P R O T E C T I O N
1. Install latest Microsoft patches
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ or SP2
2. Make sure Internet Connection Firewall is on (This is done by SP2 infact)
3. Make sure Windows Update is on and auto-downloading patches
4. Install a virus scanner and firewall
Zone Alarms is a popular, free for non-commercial use, Firewall
5. Use a Web browser like Mozilla / Firefox
6. Don't download and install programs from untrusted sources.
eg/ Programs that claim they'll get you lots of free stuff, from sites you dont know, etc
Anyone know a free Anti-virus? ETrust used to be available for free but doesnt seem to be anymore :(
my other sites:
- New York Running
- ISOGA Heavy Metal Band!
- Vacations in France!
- simon's scene
- mark's musings
- More Like it
- Worst Webhost ever?
- Against Bottled Water
- Recovering Disk Space in Windows
- Sun Ray Deployment at IS195
- Running Route Database - Update
- Pics from Mike's Bike Trip
- Central Park Moonlight Cycle
- Kristin Plater's Next Show...
- Kristin Plater Plays the Alphabet Lounge
- Your Chance to Influence US Energy Policy!
- Practical NY Energy Tips - PCs
- Missing the Point
- Practical NY Energy Tips - Lighting
- Making the Switch to Firefox
- Belize to Gutemala and Back Again
- Diving in Cancun
- Peru and Belize!
- PC Fix Up Tips