Wednesday, May 12, 2010Building a Media Center
I took a crack at building myself a media center. My goals were,
- Easy to use / Reliable: No crashing, regular admin and controllable with a remote
- Performs as many of the following as possible (in rough priority order): TV, Netflix, Hulu, DVD, DVR, iTunes, WiFi Router, BitTorrent.
- Minimize the number of boxes I need and minimize power usage
My solution ended up as,
- VIZIO 42" LCD HDTV ($800)
- Mac Mini 2.1 (1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD)
- VGA cable
- Stereo cable
Setting up the Mac Mini
posted @ 07:59 PM EST [link]
my other sites:
- New York Running
- ISOGA Heavy Metal Band!
- Vacations in France!
- simon's scene
- mark's musings
- More Like it
- Worst Webhost ever?
- Against Bottled Water
- Recovering Disk Space in Windows
- Sun Ray Deployment at IS195
- Running Route Database - Update
- Pics from Mike's Bike Trip
- Central Park Moonlight Cycle
- Kristin Plater's Next Show...
- Kristin Plater Plays the Alphabet Lounge
- Your Chance to Influence US Energy Policy!
- Practical NY Energy Tips - PCs
- Missing the Point
- Practical NY Energy Tips - Lighting
- Making the Switch to Firefox
- Belize to Gutemala and Back Again
- Diving in Cancun
- Peru and Belize!
- PC Fix Up Tips